We are looking for a detail-orientated and motivated Management Accountant to join our team in this newly created, part-time role. Our new Management Accountant will play a key, hands-on role within the finance function reporting to the CFO and working on multi-discipline projects from a systems and process perspective. There will be an opportunity to not only deal with the typical day-to-day aspects of finance for good financial governance but to be involved in interesting projects to support automation of systems with a financial impact, due to the growth of the business.
- Review, creation and adaptation of systems and processes used within the finance function.
- Work with other departments to build seamless systems and processes to maximise automation.
- Preparation of monthly management accounts which includes:
- Closing off Xero and ensuring all transactions processed and reconciled to trial balance.
- Reconciliation of fixed assets and processing of depreciation.
- Review and posting of WIP.
- Maintenance of deferred income schedule.
- Review remaining balance sheet items and check to back up documentation/sources.
- Analytical review of P&L.
- Preparation and validation of Fathom reporting.
- Preparation of information for management reporting packs and population of packs.
- Daily/weekly/monthly management of supplier invoices, employee expense claims and credit card transactions from Spendesk to Xero.
- Management of Spendesk system and support to users around the business.
- Creation of sales invoices and credit control.
- Creation of journals as required including repeating journals for deferred income.
- Managing payment milestone deadlines.
- Creating bank payments for anything paid outside of Spendesk.
- Preparation and submission of quarterly VAT return.
- Update forecasting tool with monthly actuals.
- Supporting with departmental/cost/project budgets.
- Weekly time recording reporting and monthly/quarterly analysis.
- Preparation for annual audit and supporting external accountants in preparation of statutory accounts.
- Analysis required for completion of annual corporation tax return.
This is a part-time role of 20-25 hours per week, preferably spread over 4-5 days per week. We would like this role to be based in or within travelling distance of Edinburgh, to allow for regular interaction with the teams responsible for Sales, Marketing, Customer Support, Business Development and Project Management.
Essential skills and experience
We see experience with the following as essential to the job:
- Previous experience working in a similar role in a commercial environment.
- Experience in early stage/high growth businesses.
- Accountancy qualification or QBE.
- Systems – Xero, advanced Excel.
- Adopter/promotor of technology solutions for operational purposes.
Desirable skills and experience
We think that the following would definitely be valuable in this role:
- Previous experience working in a Technology or Software environment.
- The desire to progress skills and experience to develop in your career.
We’re especially looking for someone who:
- Has outstanding organisational and time management skills.
- Is self-motivated with a “can-do” attitude.
- Works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment.
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Has a commercially focused mindset.
- Is diligent, creative, and attentive to details.
- Possesses a high level of integrity and dependability.
- Wants to make a lasting contribution to the business, financially but also in terms of team culture and values. You enjoy making an impact and shaping how businesses operates.
- Is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
What we can offer you
- A competitive salary in the region of £30-45,000pa (pro rata for hours worked) depending on experience, with regular reviews. .
- A fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business pushing boundaries in the space industry.
- Flexible hours and hybrid working, enabling you to create your ideal work life balance.
- 36 days paid holiday per annum (calculated pro-rata for part time hours).
- 6% employer pension contribution.
- Company Sick Pay and Long-Term Sickness cover.
- Death in Service payment.
- As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 13% of our business.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay.
- Opportunities for international travel for exhibitions and trade shows.
- Investment in you and your skill development and the opportunity to attend relevant events and conferences to aid career / skill development.
- Company events and regular activities for social engagement and team building.
- An open, supportive, inclusive environment where you can explore your ideas and make a big difference to the product and business.
About Bright Ascension
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol we now have over 40 members of staff and plans to expand to a team of around 60 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
Job specification: Management Accountant
All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
Make sure to include:
- Copy of your CV
- Covering letter
- Contact details