We are looking for a Software Engineer with excellent people skills to focus on ensuring that our customers get the most from our products. You will act as a trusted advisor to our customers and as a customer advocate within the company. This role covers a broad range of responsibilities including:
- Gaining and maintaining expert-level knowledge of our products.
- Handling technical support requests and managing our help desk system and forums.
- Shaping the delivery of and maintaining user documentation, tutorials, training material and our customer portal.
- Contributing to pre-sales material such as blog posts, white papers, and FAQs.
- Representing the company at trade shows and conferences.
- Acting as a ‘customer voice’ or advocate within the activities of the company.
- Playing a key and active role in the overall ‘customer journey’.
- Delivering demos and training sessions.
We see this role as being full time, although this is negotiable. Ideally, we would like this role to be based in either Dundee or Edinburgh, to allow for regular interaction with the teams responsible for product management, business development, sales and marketing.
There is a lot of flexibility in this role, with the potential for it to suit anyone from an experienced engineer to a recent graduate.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- Software development skills, preferably using the C language (however training can be provided).
- The ability to communicate technical concepts including in technical writing.
- A strong appreciation for good software engineering practices.
- Experience in technical support and training.
We’re especially looking for someone who:
- Can quickly gain the trust and confidence of others.
- Will show dedication to customer service.
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions.
- Is diligent, highly organised, and attentive to details.
- Works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment.
- Wants to make a strong contribution to the business, financially but also in terms of team culture and values. You enjoy making an impact and shaping how businesses operates.
- Is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable technical skills
Given the breadth of this role, there are many additional skills which could be a bonus. As a starting point, we think that the following skills would definitely be valuable:
- An interest in the space industry, especially in the rapidly moving “New Space” sector.
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context.
- Exposure to and experience with Java and/or Python programming.
- Exposure to and experience with real-time embedded systems.
- Knowledge of UML and/or other modelling languages.
- Experience with model-based engineering and model-based tools.
What we can offer you
- A competitive salary in the range of £30k-£40k depending on experience, with regular reviews.
- A fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business pushing boundaries in the space industry.
- Flexible working based around core hours and options to work remotely or from one of our offices, enabling you to create your ideal work life balance.
- 36 days paid holiday per annum.
- 6% employer pension contribution.
- Company Sick Pay and Long-Term Sickness cover.
- Death in Service payment.
- As a member of the Bright Ascension team, you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 13% of our business.
- International travel for exhibitions and trade shows.
- Investment in you and your skill development and the opportunity to attend relevant events and conferences to aid career / skill development.
- Company events and regular activities for social engagement and team building.
- An open, supportive, inclusive environment where you can explore your ideas and make a big difference to the product and business.
About Bright Ascension
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper, and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do, and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh, and Bristol we now have almost 40 members of staff and plans to expand to a team of around 50 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
Job specification: Customer Applications Engineer
All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
Make sure to include:
- Copy of your CV
- Covering letter
- Contact details