This is a fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Java Software Engineer who has a focus on great UI design to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft ground software and software tools.
As a key member of our team you would be responsible for leading the development of our main user interfaces across our product range, from spacecraft ground software to spacecraft simulators and development tooling. The primary implementation language is Java, although a working knowledge of Python and/or other scripting languages would be useful as these are also used in our tooling.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- good Java skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment;
- good JavaFX experience, with a focus on usability in UI design and user workflow;
- development and debugging of high quality code and adherence to best coding practices;
- experience with Java application development; and
- the ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant;
- has a passion for usability and creating visual interfaces which improve workflow;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions; and
- is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
Some of the following skills, whilst not essential, would definitely be a bonus:
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs;
- experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering;
- experience with Apache Maven; and
- use of version control systems such as Mercurial and git.
About the job
We’re ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £20k-£40k+, depending on experience, with 36 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer’s pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh, Dundee and Bristol, and this role could be filled in any of our locations, although a certain amount of inter-site travel may be required. All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 16% of our business.
Job specification: Java User Interface Developer
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Make sure to include:
- Copy of your CV
- Covering letter
- Contact details